• 사샤
  • 조회 수 6879
  • 댓글 수 0
  • 추천 수 0
2011년 4월 25일 10시 03분 등록

두 번 읽기  천의 얼굴을 가진 영웅

1. 작가에 대하여 (조셉 캠벨)

medieval.jpg

신화(神話, mythology)는 한 나라 혹은 한 민족, 한 문명권으로부터 전승되어 과거에는 종교였으나, 더 이상 섬김을 받지 않는 종교를 뜻한다. 신화는 과거에 종교로서 떨쳤던 영향만큼이나 다양한 문화를 파상시켰으며, 이는 건축, 문학, 예술뿐만 아니라 사람이 사용하는 단어에까지 자취를 남겼다. 한편 신화와 같이 예로부터 전해오는 이야기들을 전설이라고 일컫기도 하지만, 전설은 신화와 비교하여 볼 때 이야기의 주제가 서로 독립된 것이 보통이며 그리고 그 짜임새에서 단편적인 경향이 있다. 이에 비해 신화는 우주론을 포함하며 종교의 체계를 가지고 있다는 것이다.

http://johnadcox.com/page1/Mythology_and_Folklore.html

(신화에 대하여)

신화의 정의를 찾아보았다. 

캠벨이 공부한 비교 신화학이라는 것을 이해하기 위한 다시 원점으로의 복귀라고 생각했다. 

결국 인간이 가지고 있는 보편성에 그 뿌리를 둔 학문이 아닐까 싶다. 예전에는 종교라고까지 할만큼

그 우주론을 포괄하며 메타포와 상징들로 살아가는 모습에 대한 이야기들, 시간이 흐름에 따라서 

변하지 않을 이야기들을 하고 있다. 

왜 캠벨은 신화에 관심을 가지게 되었을까?

왜 여기에서 학문의 시작을 하게 되었을까?

그의 말을 빌어 유추해보자. 

Life as an art and art as a game—as action for its own sake, without thought of gain or of loss, praise or blame—is the key, then, to the turning of living itself into a yoga, and art into the means to such a life.

Joseph Campbell

그는 신화를 통해서 삶의 정수로 들어가고자 했던 것 같다. 

결국 그 안에 삶을 산다는 진정한 의미가 담겨져 있고, 자아로의 여행임을 알았던 것이다. 

작은 소자아에 머무는 것이 아니라 대자아로 나아가는 무의식에서 벗어나 

초의식으로 나아가는 그 방향을 신화에서 찾고자 했던 것 같다. 

http://www.jcf.org/new/index.php

(조셉캠벨의 이야기)

Joseph Campbell
1904-1987

"Myth is the secret opening through which the inexhaustible energies of the cosmos pour into human manifestation..." (Joseph Campbell, Hero with a Thousand Faces)

Joe as a young man at the University of Paris (1928)

Joe and Jean on their honeymoon in Woodstock, NY (1938)

Working on A Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake (1944)

At home in Hawaii (1985)

At the National Arts Club receiving Medal of Honor (1985)

And so, it seems to me, there is a critical problem indicated here, which parents and families have to face squarely: that, namely, of insuring that the signals which they are imprinting on their young are such that will attune them to, and not alienate them from, the world which they are going to have to live; unless, of course, one is dead set on bequeathing to one's heirs one's own paranoia.

Joseph Campbell
Myths to Live By

Over one hundred years ago, on March 26th in 1904, Joseph John Campbell was born in White Plains, NY. Joe, as he came to be known, was the first child of a middle-class, Roman Catholic couple, Charles and Josephine Campbell.

Joe's earliest years were largely unremarkable; but then, when he was seven years old, his father took him and his younger brother, Charlie, to see Buffalo Bill's Wild West show. The evening was a high-point in Joe's life; for, although the cowboys were clearly the show's stars, as Joe would later write, he "became fascinated, seized, obsessed, by the figure of a naked American Indian with his ear to the ground, a bow and arrow in his hand, and a look of special knowledge in his eyes.”

It was Arthur Schopenhauer, the philosopher whose writings would later greatly influence Campbell, who observed that

…the experiences and illuminations of childhood and early youth become in later life the types, standards and patterns of all subsequent knowledge and experience, or as it were, the categories according to which all later things are classified—not always consciously, however. And so it is that in our childhood years the foundation is laid of our later view of the world, and there with as well of its superficiality or depth: it will be in later years unfolded and fulfilled, not essentially changed.

And so it was with young Joseph Campbell. Even as he actively practiced (until well into his twenties) the faith of his forbears, he became consumed with Native American culture; and his worldview was arguably shaped by the dynamic tension between these two mythological perspectives. On the one hand, he was immersed in the rituals, symbols, and rich traditions of his Irish Catholic heritage; on the other, he was obsessed with primitive (or, as he later preferred, "primal") people's direct experience of what he came to describe as "the continuously created dynamic display of an absolutely transcendent, yet universally immanent, mysterium tremendum et fascinans, which is the ground at once of the whole spectacle and of oneself." (Historical Atlas , I.1, p. 8)

By the age of ten, Joe had read every book on American Indians in the children's section of his local library and was admitted to the adult stacks, where he eventually read the entire multi-volume Reports of the Bureau of American Ethnology. He worked on wampum belts, started his own "tribe" (named the "Lenni-Lenape" after the Delaware tribe who had originally inhabited the New York metropolitan area), and frequented the American Museum of Natural History, where he became fascinated with totem poles and masks, thus beginning a lifelong exploration of that museum's vast collection.

After spending much of his thirteenth year recuperating from a respiratory illness, Joe briefly attended Iona, a private school in Westchester NY, before his mother enrolled him at Canterbury, a Catholic residential school in New Milford CT. His high school years were rich and rewarding, though marked by a major tragedy: in 1919, the Campbell home was consumed by a fire that killed his grandmother and destroyed all of the family's possessions.

Joe graduated from Canterbury in 1921, and the following September, entered Dartmouth College; but he was soon disillusioned with the social scene and disappointed by a lack of academic rigor, so he transferred to Columbia University, where he excelled: while specializing in medieval literature, he played in a jazz band, and became a star runner. In 1924, while on a steamship journey to Europe with his family, Joe met and befriended Jiddu Krishnamurti, the young messiah-elect of the Theosophical Society, thus beginning a friendship that would be renewed intermittently over the next five years.

After earning a B.A. from Columbia (1925), and receiving an M.A. (1927) for his work in Arthurian Studies, Joe was awarded a Proudfit Traveling Fellowship to continue his studies at the University of Paris (1927-28). Then, after he had received and rejected an offer to teach at his high school alma mater, his Fellowship was renewed, and he traveled to Germany to resume his studies at the University of Munich (1928-29).

It was during this period in Europe that Joe was first exposed to those modernist masters—notably, the sculptor Antoine Bourdelle, Pablo Picasso and Paul Klee, James Joyce and Thomas Mann, Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung—whose art and insights would greatly influence his own work. These encounters would eventually lead him to theorize that all myths are the creative products of the human psyche, that artists are a culture's mythmakers, and that mythologies are creative manifestations of humankind's universal need to explain psychological, social, cosmological, and spiritual realities.

When Joe returned from Europe late in August of 1929, he was at a crossroad, unable to decide what to do with his life. With the onset of the Great Depression, he found himself with no hope of obtaining a teaching job; and so he spent most of the next two years reconnecting with his family, reading, renewing old acquaintances, and writing copious entries in his journal. Then, late in 1931, after exploring and rejecting the possibility of a doctoral program or teaching job at Columbia, he decided, like countless young men before and since, to "hit the road," to undertake a cross-country journey in which he hoped to experience "the soul of America" and, in the process, perhaps discover the purpose of his life. In January of 1932, when he was leaving Los Angeles, where he had been studying Russian in order to read War and Peace in the vernacular, he pondered his future in this journal entry:

I begin to think that I have a genius for working like an ox over totally irrelevant subjects. … I am filled with an excruciating sense of never having gotten anywhere—but when I sit down and try to discover where it is I want to get, I'm at a loss. … The thought of growing into a professor gives me the creeps. A lifetime to be spent trying to kid myself and my pupils into believing that the thing that we are looking for is in books! I don't know where it is—but I feel just now pretty sure that it isn't in books. — It isn't in travel. — It isn't in California. — It isn't in New York. … Where is it? And what is it, after all?

Thus one real result of my Los Angeles stay was the elimination of Anthropology from the running. I suddenly realized that all of my primitive and American Indian excitement might easily be incorporated in a literary career. — I am convinced now that no field but that of English literature would have permitted me the almost unlimited roaming about from this to that which I have been enjoying. A science would buckle me down—and would probably yield no more important fruit than literature may yield me! — If I want to justify my existence, and continue to be obsessed with the notion that I've got to do something for humanity — well, teaching ought to quell that obsession — and if I can ever get around to an intelligent view of matters, intelligent criticism of contemporary values ought to be useful to the world. This gets back again to Krishna's dictum: The best way to help mankind is through the perfection of yourself.

His travels next carried him north to San Francisco, then back south to Pacific Grove, where he spent the better part of a year in the company of Carol and John Steinbeck and marine biologist Ed Ricketts. During this time, he wrestled with his writing, discovered the poems of Robinson Jeffers, first read Oswald Spengler's Decline of the West, and wrote to some seventy colleges and universities in an unsuccessful attempt to secure employment. Finally, he was offered a teaching position at the Canterbury School. He returned to the East Coast, where he endured an unhappy year as a Canterbury housemaster, the one bright moment being when he sold his first short story ("Strictly Platonic") to Liberty magazine. Then, in 1933, he moved to a cottage without running water on Maverick Road in Woodstock NY, where he spent a year reading and writing. In 1934, he was offered and accepted a position in the literature department at Sarah Lawrence College, a post he would retain for thirty-eight years.

In 1938 he married one of his students, Jean Erdman, who would become a major presence in the emerging field of modern dance, first, as a star dancer in Martha Graham's fledgling troupe, and later, as dancer/choreographer of her own company.

Even as he continued his teaching career, Joe's life continued to unfold serendipitously. In 1940, he was introduced to Swami Nikhilananda, who enlisted his help in producing a new translation of The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna (published, 1942). Subsequently, Nikhilananda introduced Joe to the Indologist Heinrich Zimmer, who introduced him to a member of the editorial board at the Bollingen Foundation. Bollingen, which had been founded by Paul and Mary Mellon to "develop scholarship and research in the liberal arts and sciences and other fields of cultural endeavor generally," was embarking upon an ambitious publishing project, the Bollingen Series. Joe was invited to contribute an "Introduction and Commentary" to the first Bollingen publication, Where the Two Came to their Father: A Navaho War Ceremonial, text and paintings recorded by Maud Oakes, given by Jeff King (Bollingen Series, I: 1943).

When Zimmer died unexpectedly in 1943 at the age of fifty-two, his widow, Christiana, and Mary Mellon asked Joe to oversee the publication of his unfinished works. Joe would eventually edit and complete four volumes from Zimmer's posthumous papers:Myths and Symbols in Indian Art and Civilization (Bollingen Series VI: 1946), The King and the Corpse (Bollingen Series XI: 1948), Philosophies of India (Bollingen Series XXVI: 1951), and a two-volume opus, The Art of Indian Asia (Bollingen Series XXXIX: 1955).

Joe, meanwhile, followed his initial Bollingen contribution with a "Folkloristic Commentary" to Grimm's Fairy Tales (1944); he also co-authored (with Henry Morton Robinson) A Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake (1944), the first major study of James Joyce's notoriously complex novel.

His first, full-length, solo authorial endeavor, The Hero with a Thousand Faces (Bollingen Series XVII: 1949), was published to acclaim and brought him the first of numerous awards and honors—the National Institute of Arts and Letters Award for Contributions to Creative Literature. In this study of the myth of the hero, Campbell posits the existence of a Monomyth (a word he borrowed from James Joyce), a universal pattern that is the essence of, and common to, heroic tales in every culture. While outlining the basic stages of this mythic cycle, he also explores common variations in the hero's journey, which, he argues, is an operative metaphor, not only for an individual, but for a culture as well. The Hero would prove to have a major influence on generations of creative artists—from the Abstract Expressionists in the 1950s to contemporary film-makers today—and would, in time, come to be acclaimed as a classic.

Joe would eventually author dozens of articles and numerous other books, includingThe Masks of God: Primitive Mythology (Vol. 1: 1959), Oriental Mythology (Vol. 2: 1962),Occidental Mythology (Vol. 3: 1964), and Creative Mythology (Vol. 4: 1968); The Flight of the Wild Gander: Explorations in the Mythological Dimension (1969); Myths to Live By (1972);The Mythic Image (1974); The Inner Reaches of Outer Space: Metaphor as Myth and as Religion (1986); and five books in his four-volume, multi-part, unfinished Historical Atlas of World Mythology (1983-87).

He was also a prolific editor. Over the years, he edited The Portable Arabian Nights(1952) and was general editor of the series Man and Myth (1953-1954), which included major works by Maya Deren (Divine Horsemen: the Living Gods of Haiti, 1953), Carl Kerenyi (The Gods of the Greeks, 1954), and Alan Watts (Myth and Ritual in Christianity, 1954). He also edited The Portable Jung (1972), as well as six volumes of Papers from the Eranos Yearbooks (Bollingen Series XXX): Spirit and Nature (1954), The Mysteries(1955), Man and Time (1957), Spiritual Disciplines (1960), Man and Transformation(1964), and The Mystic Vision (1969).

But his many publications notwithstanding, it was arguably as a public speaker that Joe had his greatest popular impact. From the time of his first public lecture in 1940—a talk at the Ramakrishna-Vivekananda Center entitled "Sri Ramakrishna's Message to the West"—it was apparent that he was an erudite but accessible lecturer, a gifted storyteller, and a witty raconteur. In the ensuing years, he was asked more and more often to speak at different venues on various topics. In 1956, he was invited to speak at the State Department's Foreign Service Institute; working without notes, he delivered two straight days of lectures. His talks were so well-received, he was invited back annually for the next seventeen years. In the mid-1950s, he also undertook a series of public lectures at the Cooper Union in New York City; these talks drew an ever-larger, increasingly diverse audience, and soon became a regular event.

Joe first lectured at Esalen Institute in 1965. Each year thereafter, he returned to Big Sur to share his latest thoughts, insights, and stories. And as the years passed, he came to look forward more and more to his annual sojourns to the place he called "paradise on the Pacific Coast." Although he retired from teaching at Sarah Lawrence in 1972 to devote himself to his writing, he continued to undertake two month-long lecture tours each year.

In 1985, Joe was awarded the National Arts Club Gold Medal of Honor in Literature. At the award ceremony, James Hillman remarked, "No one in our century—not Freud, not Thomas Mann, not Levi-Strauss—has so brought the mythical sense of the world and its eternal figures back into our everyday consciousness."

Joseph Campbell died unexpectedly in 1987 after a brief struggle with cancer. In 1988, millions were introduced to his ideas by the broadcast on PBS of Joseph Campbell and The Power of Myth with Bill Moyers, six hours of an electrifying conversation that the two men had videotaped over the course of several years. When he died, Newsweek magazine noted that "Campbell has become one of the rarest of intellectuals in American life: a serious thinker who has been embraced by the popular culture."

In his later years, Joe was fond of recalling on how Schopenhauer, in his essay On the Apparent Intention in the Fate of the Individual, wrote of the curious feeling one can have, of there being an author somewhere writing the novel of our lives, in such a way that through events that seem to us to be chance happenings there is actually a plot unfolding of which we have no knowledge.

Looking back over Joe's life, one cannot help but feel that it proves the truth Schopenhauer's observation.

http://www.jcf.org

(조셉캠벨재단 사이트에서)

그는 진정한 학자이자 현인 그리고 도인인 것 같다는 생각이 든다. 

한국의 스님들과 선문답을 해보면 어떨까 싶은 생각도 든다. 

인간의 본질에 파고 들었던 그의 신화의 세계는 정말이지 무궁무진하다. 

2. 마음을 무찔러 드는 글귀

2부 우주 발생적 순환

(지난 번 1독시 깊이 있는 이해가 부족했던 부분 위주로 정리해본다)

신화와 꿈은 같은 근원 (즉 환상이라는 무의식의 샘)에서 유래하고 그 문법도 동일하다. 그러나 이 신화가 수면의 산물이 아니라는 의미에서 이 양자는 동일하지 않다. 오히려 신화의 패턴은 의식적으로 통제된다. 그리고 신화는 전통적인 지혜를 전달하기 위한 강력한 회화적 언어로 기능한다. (326)

<보아라, 하느님 나라는 바로 너희 가운데 있다>고 예수는 말했다. 실제로, 성경에서 말하고 있는 타락 이미지의 의미는 초의식이 무의식 상태로 흘러갔음을 뜻한다. 우리가 우주적 능력의 근원은 보지 못하고 그 능력에서 투사된 현상계의 형태만 볼 수 있는 것은 의식이 응축되었기 때문인데, 이 의식의 응축 현상은 초의식을 무의식으로 바꾸어 놓는다. 그리고 동시에 같은 징표로서 세상을 창조한다. 구원은 초의식으로의 귀환과  이에 따른 세상의 소멸에 있다. 이것은 우주 발생적 순환, 세계 현현의 신화적 이미지, 그리고 비현현 상태로의 회귀를 나타내는 중요한 테마 및 공식이다. 마찬가지로 개인의 탄생, , 죽음은 무의식으로의 하강 및 회귀로 볼 수 있다. (331)

à 초의식을 다시 깨우기 위한 노력을 게을리하지 말아야 한다. 깨어 있어도 잠들어 있는 거라는 말이 바로 이 무의식의 세계에 머물러 있다는 이야기임을 이제야 안다. 현상계의 형태에만 의존하는 건 의식이 응축되어 있기 때문이라는 말이 가슴에 와서 박힌다. 더 굳어지기 전에 의식의 확장과 깨어남이 필요하다.

신은 잠자는 공주, 즉 영혼을 깨우는 편의수단이다. 삶은 공주의 잠이고, 죽음은 공주의 깨어남이다. 자기 자신의 영혼을 깨우는 영웅은, 그 자신이 자기 소멸의 편의수단일 뿐이다. 영혼을 깨우는 신은, 그 영웅과 죽음을 함께 한다. (332)

à 조사가 오면 조사를 죽이고 부처가 오면 부처를 죽이라는 말이 생각난다. 신은 나의 생각을 넘어서기 위한 편의 수단이라니. 이 얼마나 멋진 말인지. 두려할 것은 아무 것도 모두 나이니까. 하나라는 것. 너와 내가 둘이 아닌 하나. 하나님. 온전한 것. 그 안의 나. 그래서 파편에 매달리지 말고 그 큰 하나를 보라는 것.

우주 발생적 순환은 우주 자체의 반복, 즉 끝없는 세계로 표상된다. 각 순환의 주기 안에는 소멸의 과정도 포함되어 있다. 이것은 삶이 잠과 깨어 있음의 주기로 이루어져 있는 것이나 마찬가지다. 아즈테크인들의 설명에 따르면 4 (, , 공기, )가 각 세계의 주기를 끝맺는다. 즉 물의 시기는 홍수로 흙은 지진으로 공기는 바람으로 그리고 현재의 주기는 불로 끝나게 된다는 것이다. (333)

순환적 대화재에 관한 스토아학파의 설명에 따르면, 모든 영혼은 세계혼 World Soul 혹은 <원초적인 불>로 환원된다. 이 우주적 소멸이 끝나고 새로운 우주의 형성(키케로의 이른바 혁신)>이 시작되면 모든 존재는 그 존재를 반복하고, 모든 신, 모든 인간은 그전에 하던 역할을 다시 맡는다. 그는 다가오는 순환에서의 재생을 기다리고 있었던 듯하다(334)

à 삼사라. 윤회와 비슷한 것 같다. 다르겠지만 결국 같은.

우주 발생적 순환에 의해 설명되는 철학적 공식이란, 존재의 세 단계를 통한 의식의 순환을 말한다. 그 첫 단계는 깨어나는 체험의 단계, 즉 태양의 조명을 받고, 만물에 공통된 외계 우주의 험난하고 총체적인 사실들을 인식하는 단계다. 두번째 단계는 꿈 체험의 단계, 즉 꿈을 꾸는 당사자와는 본질상 동일한 개인적 내부 세계의 유동적이고 모호한 형태를 인식하는 단계다. 세번째 단계는 깊은 잠에 빠지는 단계, 꿈을 꾸지 않는 지복의 단계다. 첫번째 단계에서 우리는 삶에 관한 교훈적인 체험과 만나고, 두번째 단계에서는 이러한 것들이 소화되어 꿈을 꾸는 당사자의 내적인 힘에 동화되며 세번째 단계에서는 내부적 통제자가 들어앉은 방 안 모든 것의 근원이자 끝인 상태, <마음속에 있는 공감> 안에서 모든 것을 즐기고 의식할 수 있게 된다. (338)

우주 발생적 순환은 비현현의 숙면 영역에서 비롯, 꿈을 통하여 깨어나 있는 대낮 그리고 다시 꿈을 통하여 시간을 초월하나 어둠에 이르는 보편적 의식의 통로로 이해되어야 한다. 살아 있는 존재의 일상적 실제 체험이나 살아 있는 우주의 광대한 양상은 같은 것이다. 잠의 심연 속에서는 에너지가 재충전되지만 일을 하다보면 이 에너지는 고갈된다. 우주의 생명도 고갈되면 재생되어야 한다. 우주 발생적 순환은, 현현의 세계로 나아갔다가 미지의 침묵이 지배하는 비현현의 세계로 되돌아온다. (339)

침묵은 순환의 개방 및 폐쇄와 아무 상관이 없는 영원한 신이다.

보이지 않고 말할 수도 없고 느낄 수도 없고 추정할 수도 없고 상상할 수도 없고 그릴 수도 없다. 의식 상태에 있는 만물이 공유하는 자기 인식의 본질 현상계는 이 안에서 소멸한다. 이는 평화요, 행복이요, <둘이 아닌 것>이다.

신화는 이 순환 속에 머문다. 그러나 신화는 이 순환을 침묵에 둘러싸인 형태, 순환과 침묵이 서로 삼투하는 형태로 드러낸다. (339)

à 만물이 공유하는 자기 인식의 본질을 이 현상계를 넘어 보자는 것이다. 그 안으로 손을 뻗치자는 것이다. 그 침묵의 신에게 가자는 것이다.

중세의 히브리 신비주의 경전에서

오래된 이 중에서도 가장 오래되었고, 미지의 존재 중에서도 가장 미지의 존재인 그에겐 형상이 있되 형상이 없다. 그분은 우주를 보존하므로 형상이 있으나, 감지될 수 없다는 뜻에서 형상이 없다. (340)

à 오감을 넘어서는 그 무엇, 감지 되지 않는 다는 것은 어떤 뜻일까 미지의 존재 그래서 두렵기도 하지만 평화이기도 한.. 그 무엇

진리 중의 진리인 수염은 귀 밑에서 시작해서 내려와 거룩한 이의 입을 감싼다. 그러고는 내려오고 올라가면서 향기가 진동하는 곳이라고 불리어지는 뺨을 감싼다. 이 수염은 희 색깔로, 장식이 달려 있다. 수염은 힘의 평형을 유지하며 내려와 가슴까지 감싸 장식한다. 이것이 바로 참되고 완전한 화해의 수염이다. 여기에서 열세 줄기 샘이 솟아나와 광휘의 방향을 퍼뜨린다. 이 수염은 열세 형상 안에 배열된다. 저 귀한 수염에 의한 세 형상의 배열의 결과 우주 안에서도 이런 배열이 발견되는데 이 배열은 열세 자비의 문을 향해 열려 있다. (341)

마크로프로소포스는 <창조되지 않은 비실재 Uncreated Uncreating>이며, 미크로프로소포스는 <창조되지 않은 실재 Uncreated Creating>이다. 그리고 이 양자는 각각 침묵과 거룩한 음절 < Aum>이며, 우주 발생적 순환 속의 비현현과 내재적 실재다. (342)

우주의 끝을 헤아리고 그 끝이 곧 시작임을 아는 자라야 현자로 불릴 만하다 (342)

우주 발생 주기의 첫 단계는 무형에서 형상에 이르는 과정을 나타낸다. (343)

이 일련의 단계는 존재의 신비에 대한 헤아릴 길 없는 깊이를 암시한다. 위의 각 단계가 보여주는 깊이는 세계의 깊이를 재는 모험에서 영웅이 보여주던 깊이에 대응한다. (346)

회임에서 생산이

생산에서 생각이

생각에서 기억이

기억에서 의식이

의식에서 욕망이

(348)

à 마오리 족의 신화 속에 나오는 이야기들 무의식 속에 잠들어 있는 기억 깨우기 결국 잠재되어 있던 욕망의 발현이 생산으로까지 이어지게 되는것인가.

우주란의 껍질은 공간에 떠 있는 세계의 뼈대요, 그 안에 있는 풍요한 생식력은 식을 줄 모르는 자연계 생명력의 역동성을 나타낸다. (353)

한 처음의 우주는 인간의 형상을 한 자아Self였다. 그는 주위를 둘러보았지만 아무것도 눈에 띄지 않았다. 그래서 처음으로 <내가 바로 그다 (I am he)>하고 소리쳤다. 여기에서 <>라는 이름이 생겼다. 오늘날에도 누가 말을 건네오면 <, >라는 말로 서두로 삼은 연후에야 자기가 만난 다른 사람의 이름을 거론하는 것은 이 때문이다. 그는 두려웠다. 사람이 혼자 있으면 두려워지는 것은 이 때문이다. 그래서 그는 생각했다. <내가 대체 무엇을 두려워하는가? 나 이외엔 아무것도 없는데?> 그러자 두려움이 사라졌다. (355)

우주에 있어서는 개체이든 창조적인 어버이든 그 영속적인 근본은 하나이며 따라서 동일하다. 그래서 이 신화에서는 조물주를 자아라고 부른 것이다. 동양 신비주의자는 자기 내부로 명상해 들어감으로써, 원초적인 양성 상태인 이 심오하고 영속적인 존재를 만난다. (356)

하늘과 땅과 대기 아래 있는 그는 꾸며진 존재다.

마음과 생명의 모든 숨결 또한 마찬가지다.

사물을 <영혼>으로 아는 자는 그뿐. 다른 말은 해서 무엇하랴?

그는 불사에 이르는 교량이다. (356)

그대의 마음이 스스로 싸움의 화근을 불러일으켰다. (363)

à 한 생각 일으킨 것은 다름아닌 본인 자신이다. 나를 넘어선 더 큰 무엇.

저희들은 어떻게 되나요? 언제까지 살아 있게 되나요? 저희 삶에는 끝이 없나요? (368)

세계의 정돈, 인간의 창조, 운명의 결정은 모든 원시 창조자 이야기의 전형적인 주제들이다. 그러나 이런 이야기가 진지하게 받아들려졌는지의 여부는 지금 알기 어렵다. 신화 체계의 양식은 노인이 어떠어떠한 일을 했다는 식으로 극명하게 말해 버릴 수는 없다. (369)

우주 역시 악의 대리자인 반항자를, 광대의 역할로 조형해 낸다. 악마(탐욕스러운 돌머리이자 예리하고 영리한 사기꾼인)는 언제나 이런 광대다. 이러한 광대는 시간과 공간의 세계에서는 승리하나, 그들 자체나 그들의 업적은 무대가 초월적인 차원으로 옮겨지면 간단히 사라지고 만다. 그들은 그림자를 본질로 오해한다. 그들은 그림자 영역에서의 필연적인 불완전성을 상징하는데 우리가 이곳에 남아 있는 이상 장막은 걷힐 수 없다. (372)

à 어떻게 떠난다는 말인지.. 플라톤이 얘기한 이데아와 동굴이야기가 생각난다. 여전히 진실을 보지 못하고 있는 것인지. 그 뒤에 무엇이 있다는 이야기인지.

위대한 계시의 세계, 즉 깊은 잠과 깨어 있는 의식 사이에 놓인 세계와 시간, 하나가 여럿으로 갈라지고, 여럿이 하나와 화해하는 지대와 그대로 일치하는 것이다. (373)

원초적인 남성은 달이다 (383)

à 난 늘 달은 여성의 상징이라고 생각했었는데, 원초적인 남성은 달이라니 조금 새롭다.

<소자아> <대자아>의 재판석을 강탈했다 (389)

à 이것이 문제로다. 파편화 되어 가는 사회. 본래의 자신의 모습에서 멀어지는 모습 결국은 분열. 그럼으로써 어려워지는 순환의 주기.

영웅이란 성취되는 것이 아니고, 운명지워진다는 관점과 일치한다. 이러한 관점은 영웅의 전기와 그 고유한 성격과의 관계에 문제를 제기한다. 가령 예수는, 엄격한 고행과 명상으로 지혜를 터득한 사람이라고 생각할 수 있는가 하면 인간의 모습을 취한 하강한 신이라고 믿어질 수도 있다. 전자의 견해를 따르는 사람은 예수와 같은 초월적 구원을 경험하기 위해 그의 행적을 글자 그대로 흉내내는 수가 있다. 그러나 후자의 견해를 따를 경우, 예수라는 영웅은 글자 그대로 본이 되는 전형이라기보다는 묵상해야 할 하나의 상징이다. 신적인 존재란, 우리 모두의 내부에 있는 전능한 자아의 계시다. 삶에 대한 묵상은 따라서 정확한 모방에 이르는 전주곡으로서가 아니라 자기의 내재적인 신성에 대한 명상의 형태여야 한다. 말하자면 <이러저러하게 행동해서 선함을 얻는>것이 아니고 <이를 앎으로써 신이 되는 것>이다. (400)

à 무엇이 맞는 것일까.. 묵상의 존재일까 아닐까.. 이미 운명지워진다는 이야기는 모험의 길의 동기를 꺾을 수도 있을만큼 강력하다. 영웅은 정해져 있고 그것은 하늘이 정한다라고 하면 그 누가 이 길을 떠날 것인가 하지만 달리보면 주파수를 맞추지 않아서 그렇지 누구에게나 그 예시를 볼 수 있는 어린시절이 있을수도 있다. 아직 그 초의식의 세계와 떨어지기 전의 기억이 남아 있는 모습을 간혹 볼 수도 있고 말이다.

영웅이자 방랑 시인의 시구가 신통력이 있는 마법의 주문으로 울린다. 이와 비슷하게 영웅이자 전사의 칼날이 창조적인 근원의 에너지로 빛난다. 이 칼날 앞에서 낡은 것의 껍질이 떨어진다. (422)

à 낡은 것의 껍질을 벗어야만 새로운 창조 에너지가 빛날 수 있음을 안다. 연연하지 말고 털어버리자. 새로움이 솟아날 수 있도록. 봄빛의 초록을 보니 그 무엇이라도 주고 싶다. 다시 태어나자. 근원의 에너지로 빛나자.

어제의 영웅은 오늘 <스스로>를 십자가에 달지 않으면 내일의 폭군이 된다. (442)

à 그래서 새로워져야 한다는 말이다. 늘 새롭다는 것. 어린아이처럼 세상을 본다는 것. 그 영웅이 내게로 손짓할 때에 반응이 아닌 행동으로 그에 답한다.

내가 쓰는 시대는 끝났다. 나는 나에게 계시된 것을 써왔고, 가르쳐왔지만, 내가 보기엔 참으로 하잘 것없다. 이제 바라건대, 내가 가르치는 시대가 끝났듯이 내 삶 또한 그러하기를 (443)

à 토마스 아퀴나스의 글이다. 그로부터 오래지 않아 그는 마흔아홉 살로 세상을 떠났다. 자신의 소명을 다하고서는 다시 돌아간다. 우리들의 죽음에 대한 표현에서도 돌아가셨다라는 표현을 쓴다. 대체 어디로 돌아간다는 말인가. 삶과 죽음이 둘이 아닌 하나인 것을 돌아갈 곳이 있다는 것은 어디에서부터 왔는가라는 설명을 위한 기초이기도 하다. 욕망의 굴레를 벗어나 본래 이곳에 온 소명의식을 깨달아야 한다는 것을 그 어떤 말보다 잘 써 준 것 같다.

삶의 너머에서 존재하는 이런 영웅은 신화를 초월한 영웅들이기도 하다. 그런 영웅들은 이 삶의 너머에 존재하는 것을 다루려하지 않는다. 그런 그들을 신화도 다룰 수 없다. 그들의 전설은 사람들의 입에 회자하나 경건한 자세와 그들의 전기가 전하는 교훈은 진부한 상투적 문구에서 더 나을 것이 없다. 그들은 형상의 영역을 떠나 고귀한 존재의 화신이 하강하는 곳 보살이 머물렀던 곳 <거대한 얼굴>의 옆모습이 <현현하는> 영역으로 들어갔다. <신비에 싸여 있던> 옆얼굴이 드러나면 신화는 부차적인 언어이며 침묵이 궁극적인 언어가 된다. 정신이 신비 속으로 빠져드는 순간 남는 것은 오직 침묵 뿐이다. (444)

à 남는 것은 오직 침묵 뿐.

생전에 이원적인 균형을 상징하던 영웅은, 죽어서도 이미지를 합성한다. 샤를마뉴처럼 영웅은 잠을 자다가도 운명의 때가 되면 일어난다. 그는 다른 형상으로 우리 가운데 있다. (449)

더 살기를 바라는 영웅은 죽음에 저항하고 일정 기간 자기 명을 연장시킬 수도 있다. (451)

à 간혹 티벳 어디에선가 이러한 경우가 있다고 하는데 참 신묘한 일이 아닐 수 없다. 자아의 개념을 떠나버린 사람들에게서는 어쩌면 이러한 것들이 자유자재일 수도 있겠다는 생각을 해본다. 

제행이 무상하구나 태어난 것 모습을 나타낸 것 죽기로 마련된 것들이 어찌 이를 피할 수 있겠는가 어쩔 수가 없구나 비구들아 내 이제 너희를 떠난다 존재의 제법은 무상하다 정진하여 해탈에 이르도록 하여라 (456)

축복받은 자는 첫번째 무아에 이른다. 첫번째 무아에서 일어난 그는 두번째 무아로 들어간다. 두번째 무아에서 일어난 그는 세번재 무아로 들어간다. 세번째 무아에서 일어난 그는 네번째 무아로 들어간다. 네번째 무아에서 일어난 그는 무한 의식의 영역으로 들어간다. 무한 의식에서 일어난 그는 무한 의식의 영역으로 들어간다. 무한 의식에서 일어난 그는 무한 공간의 영역으로 들어간다. 무한 공간의 영역에서 일어난 그는 무의 영역으로 들어간다. 무의 영역에서 일어난 그는 지각이 있는 것도 없는 것도 아닌 영역으로 들어간다. 지각이 있는 것도 없는 것도 아닌 영역에서 일어난 그는 지각과 감각의 휴식 상태에 이른다. (457)

세존은 지각과 감각의휴식 상태에서 일어나 지각이 있는 것도 없는 것도 아닌 영역에 들었다. 지각이 있는 것도 없는 것도 아닌 영역에서 일어난 그는 무의 세계에 들었다. 무의 세계에서 일어난 그는 무한 의식의 영역에 들었다. 무한 의식의 영역에서 일어난 그는 네번째 무아에 들었다. 네번째 무아에서 일어난 그는 세번째 무아에 들었다. 세번째 무아에서 일어난 그는 두번째 무아에 들었다. 두번째 무아에서 일어난 그는 첫번째 무아에 들었다. 첫번째 무아에서 일어난 그는 두번째 무아에 들었다. 두번째 무아에서 일어난 그는 세번째 무아에 들었다. 세번째 무아에서 일어난 그는 네번째 무아에 들었다. 네번째 무아에서 일어난 그는 곧 열반에 들었다. (457)

크리슈나의 말

나는 모든 피조물의 가슴안에 있는 실재다. 나는 모든 존재의 시작이며, 중간이며, 끝이다 (458)

개인이라는 창조된 형상이 결국은 소멸되고 말듯이 우주 역시 소멸된다. (468)

니체는 <그날이 도래한 듯이 살라>고 하고 있다. 창조적인 영웅을 이끌고 구원하여야 하는 것은 사회가 아니다. 아니 사회를 지키고 구원하여야 할 사람이 바로 창조적 영웅이다. 그리하여 우리 각자는 그 영웅의 족속이 대승을 거두는 그 빛나는 순간이 아니라 그가 개인적으로 절망을 느끼고 침묵을 지킬 때 그가 겪는 모진 시련을 나누어 부담하는 것이다. (488) 

3. 내가 작가라면

여전히 책이 어렵긴하다. 아마도 너무 많은 상징들과 큰 개념을 다루고 있어서 그런듯 하다. 그래도 다행스러운건 두번째 읽으니 캠벨이 의도했던바가 무엇인지를 조금은 이해할 것도 같다는 점이다. 사실 한 번 더 읽어야겠다는 생각을 하고 있다. 자신의 영웅을 찾는다고 하는 개념을 여전히 나를 놓아두고 자아를 떠나지 않은 개념으로 받아들이면 계속해서 이해가 어려운 것 같다. 

구성은 좀 더 생각해봐야겠지만, 영웅의 여정과 이 우주의 섭리를 이해하는 순서로 구성되어 있는 지금의 상태도 나쁘지는 않다는 생각이 든다. 다만 좀 더 쉽게 독자들에게 다가가기 위해서는 너무 많은 카테고리는 가지치기가 필요해 보인다.

사실 책의 프린트 오류로 우주 발생적 순환인 2부도 여전히 영웅의 모험이라고 써져 있어서 혼동이 되었는데 이번에 읽다가 보니 2부는 우주 발생적 순환의 테마로 엮인 것을 알고는 '아하'하고 이해하게 되었다.  

1. 프롤로그

2. 영웅의 모험 (출발, 입문, 귀환)

3. 영웅의 변모 그리고 우주의 소멸

4. 에필로그 - 오늘날의 영웅 (내 안의 영웅 찾기)

지금의 근간을 크게 흔들지 않되, 보다 쉽게 이해가 될 수 있는 범위로 줄여 보았다. 

결국 이러한 책을 쓰는 이유도 오늘날의 영웅을 다시 찾기 위함이 아닌지. 

우리를 떠나서는 그 의미가 무엇인지... 캠벨 아저씨를 만나보고 싶다는 생각이 든다. 

IP *.45.10.22

덧글 입력박스
유동형 덧글모듈

VR Left
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수
192 뼛속까지 내려가서 써라 박혜홍 2019.01.20 6904
191 새벽나라에 사는 거인 [2] 강석진 (plus3h) 2004.10.13 6907
190 구본형의 마지막 수업 박혜홍 2019.01.27 6915
189 #44 구본형의 마지막 수업 불씨 2019.01.27 6940
188 <위대한 나의 발견 * 강점혁명 Now, Discover Your Strengths>- [2] 낭만 연주 2010.07.05 6955
187 실행에 집중하라 오병곤 2005.03.20 6962
186 차라투스트라는 이렇게 말했다 1 _ 니체 레몬 2013.03.11 6967